Sunday, January 4, 2015

BABY BIRD

 A couple of days ago my Dad and my brothers were feeding the next door neighbor's horse with handfuls of grass when my dad found a bird that the cat was playing with.
He gave it to me and I carefully took it inside and put it in a little box with a cloth in the bottom and covered it up with a cloth and left the corners open.


Then I rang my very supportive and knowledgeable friend...
 (this is a link to her blog)
http://www.birdsinthemountains-tasman-nz.blogspot.co.nz/

...and she told me the next steps.
I emailed her this photo and she told me it was a goldfinch.  I put it in a bigger box and gave it water.
After ten minuets or so, the bird had recovered mostly from it's shock and so I took it out to where I had found it.
I took the cover off the box, starting at one of the open corners, and slowly let more light in.   The bird hopped out of the box and onto my hand.  I had mixed feelings, one because I didn't want the bird getting tame, and also happy because I knew the bird trusted me and wasn't scared.  Then it hopped off my hand and under the tree.  I left the little water dish (an old shallow lid) under the tree and left the bird. 
The next morning I went to check on the bird and I am pretty sure I saw it in the tree.  But of course, it possibly wasn't.  But I was happy


***Little Star***

No comments:

Post a Comment